To back up my thesis I had a look to some data which show how bad the situation for our environment currently is. The NASA website on climate change offers a good and clear insight.
To sum up, here I listed the main statistics.
- The level of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) in the air has risen of +400.47 parts per million, the highest ever accounted in 650,000 years.
- Global temperature has increased +1.4 º F since 1880 and nine of the 10 warmest years on record have occurred since 2000.
- The Arctic Ice shrinking to the minimum (-13.3% per decade) and in 2012, it shrank to the lowest extent on record.
- Land Ice -287 billion metric tons per year. Greenland ice loss doubled between 1996 and 2005.
- Sea level 3.20mm per year. Global average sea level has risen nearly 7’’ (178mm) over the past 100 years.
- Forest cover 1.5 million sq.km. Global forest lost between 2000 and 2012 would cover more than twice the area of Texas.